Only if it is a parallel type - so you'll need to identify the type of heating tape that you have.

You can identify any 'type' of heating tape by simply looking at the end of the heating tape. If you have a self-regulating heating tape, you will see two wires (sometimes referred to as 'buswires' or 'conductors'), surrounded by a narrow, black material (a semi-conductive core). The two conductors act as your 'live' and 'neutral' wires - it doesn't matter which one you use as which. Surrounding that will be either a RED, BLUE or BROWN insulation. You may then have one (or two) further'layers' depending on the other options taken when ordering. If this describes what you're looking at, you have a self-regulating heating tape.

However, if you have a constant wattage heating tape, there are a number of styles available. The choices available from Heat Trace are i) a 'flat foil' heating tape, and ii) a 'spirally wound' heating tape. Both work on the same principle. However, on either style, you will have two conductors. If you look at the end of a spirally wound, constant wattage heating tape, you will notice two round buswires - fairly close together. Surrounding these wires will be a jacket providing insulation. Spirally wound around this jacket will be a fine wire heating element. If you can see all of this, you have a Spiral Wound Constant Wattage heating tape. If you don't see any of these, it sounds as though you've got a 'flat foil' constant wattage heating tape.

If, when looking at the end of heating tape you see three equal 'conductors', you have a Series Resistance heating tape. You must not cut this type of heating tape to length without reference to Heat Trace Ltd. If in any doubt, call us.